Thursday, August 27, 2009

Things I've learned so far... regarding traffic

10. I find it extremely difficult to figure out when a sidewalk is a sidewalk and when it is acutally ment to be a sideride. I also find it almost impossible to determine when a bike path is a bike path, when it's a kind of parking lane and when it's just a generously drawn sideline.
11. My internal navigation system has kicked it. Yes, this is a good thing. Unfortunately, it doesn't ake into account that while sometimes a highway is the only way to get somewhere they shouldn't be used by bikes (don't worry, dear parental units. I didn't try to go anywhere on the highway!). Also, I think I may have accidently rollerbladed onto the roof of the student union. Should that be a bad thing, they really shouldn't have made it accessible by rollerblades.
12. I always thought the traffic light system in Konstanz was the worst I had ever encountered. I was wrong. I appologize. The worst/oddest system of traffic light cycles is definitely on Long Island. There a lights for people on foot, but they will only go on if you push the button (and then they might not even if you do push the button, but they definitely won't work if you just stand there). I think there should be rules on how close these buttons have to be to the actual crosswalk, how visible they are (e.g. hidden in a tree is not okay), etc.
13. Signs. There seems to be signs for everything. And they are very specific. Some of them look like somebody just decided to put on a sign one day, so he went out to buy some paint and a piece of metal. I came up to a junction and read the following signs: "Right lane must turn right", "Left lane must turn left", "No turn on red light". Now what about the people in the middle lane? Do they get to do whatever they please? And then there was this one - what does that even mean?!

2 comments:

  1. na, ist doch klar, wenn es schneit in amerika, dann ist das ein notfall. Wenn man den notfall sehen will, dann geht man auf die straße. Und wenn man auf der Staße in einen notfall kommt, wird man abgeschleppt (dafür gibts ja omas mit handys) und wenn man dann nicht in irgendein dorf kommen will, mit einem hafen, wo schon ein jefferson war, dann sollte man sich aus dieser zone lieber raushalten. Außer, die Sonne scheint. Natürlich.
    Also, schön, dass es dir gut geht, genieße deine Insel... es scheint ja sehr lustig zuzugehen da drüben:-) Über die Bürgersteige (bzw. ihre Nichtexistenz in verschiedenen gebieten) habe ich mich auch schon gewundert. Naja, stattdessen haben sie bagels:-)
    Liebe Grüße, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect you'd find out exactly what that sign means if you parked a car there and left it after about 2 inches of snow fell.

    I love reading your observations!

    ReplyDelete