Thursday, August 20, 2009

You are following some of the brightest minds in the world

Here on campus there are several bus routes with big buses and little buses and some in between buses. The bigger buses have an "inscription": You are follwing some of the brightest minds in the world.
Actually there are signs all over campus with "statistics" reminding us how amazing this university is. How many inventions and patents have sprung from these bright minds, which ranking we are included in etc. I wonder - do these signs stay up all year, or just during the first few weeks of the semester in order to make sure everyone is properly brainwashed.
I few years ago, my previous university was chosen to be a part of this new program in Germany where they were picking "Eliteuniversitäten", which were supposed to be the top universities in Germany which were then endorsed with all kinds of money. And so a new one-liner became popular among the student body: "Konstanz, here studieth the Elite. And me".
What we don't have in Germany is University Sports. At least not the same way as here. The campus is almost empty but there are already signs everywhere. "You are in seawolves country". What does that mean anyway? Apparently, for one, I shall have to start wearing red if I want to fit in (at least on "Red Friday"). I get the whole, if we identify with our team we identify with our university and then we are united and united we stand and ... well I guess it makes everything better.
But really, do we have to turn everything into a "wolfie" this or that thing? The wireless net is "WolfieNet", there's a restaurant named after the Seawolves (apparently it serves extra large pasta portions), the convenvience store is the WolvesMarket or something, there's a hugh "Seawolves quilt" hanging in the middle of one of the lounges (Tradition's Lounge I think...) - I'm sure you get the picture.
Shame I never looked good in red.

No comments:

Post a Comment