Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Can you feel the flames a-blazin’?!

All semester, I have been grading assignments for the class I TA. Usually, once I’m done I’ll bring them to class and everyone can pick them up and read my brilliant comments and notations and other observations I made. Interestingly enough, not everyone seems that interested in picking up their assignments – and ever since I finished grading the first assignments I have had a stack of papers that weren’t picked up.
Then, people would ask for them at the most random moments. In Germany we have an expression we use that goes somewhere to the effect of “yeah, what do you think I’m gonna do with them?! Wallpaper my room?!” So, out of habit I usually would say something to that effect.
Because I was still in the process of cramming information into my head while my friend had already come to visit from Germany we were kind of looking for something for her to do. At one point I mentioned how empty my suite looks and joked around that what it really was missing was a fireplace. Jokingly I said, “hey, we should draw a big fireplace on the wall…”.
We laughed.
Then we looked at each other.
Our eyes met.
Our brilliant minds synchronized.
And I said: “yes, we really should” and scampered of to my room and returned with a box of crayons and a stack of papers. No they weren’t really the left-over assignments. But these pieces of scrap paper had originated from assignments that were accidently printed twice, the instructions for them etc.
So yes. When I said I wasn’t going to wallpaper my wall with those assignments?!


Well, I sorta changed my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment