Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Oh, the weather outside is frightful…


So. With finals week being more of a final one and a half weeks the campus was oddly empty after Friday with most people having gotten off the island (or at least off campus) as quickly as they could after their last final and those remaining on campus were some international students and a handful of poor souls needing to take a last exam Monday.
Me being among those poor souls I spent Friday diligently stuffing my head with various facts and figures regarding biological oceanography, while popping in and out of the kitchen a few times to prepare last supper with some of my team mates – most of them ended up having to leave early because a major blizzard was supposed to hi the entire East Coast and their parents decided they were coming to get their children while they still could.
Hm, I thought to myself… my best friend is coming in from Germany on Saturday (at least her last leg of the journey from the City to Stony Brook by train), what’s it with me and attraction natural catastrophes at the worst possible times to wherever I am?
Well, she arrived in time for the two of us to get our grocery shopping done and hole up before the storm hit that evening. And hit it did…  of course I welcomed several nightly breaks of “let’s see how bad it really is out there” to run away from my desk and out into the snow. The next morning we couldn’t go to church as planned because all church services etc. had been canceled – so instead we bundled up and decided to go explore.
It seems we were the only people enjoying a walk in two feet of fresh snow – most people were trying to dig out their cars, figure out which dining facility hadn’t shut down. But we had fun… and I got a new fireplace for my apartment, so after a few hours of trudging around we came back made hot chocolate and settled down in front of the fireplace (story to follow…)


No comments:

Post a Comment