Sunday, August 15, 2010

When two people meet ...

I recently discovered that modern technology has altered the mechanics of meeting people.
For example when you are trying to meet up with siomebody cell phones seem to have eliminated the need for precise times and places. You no longer say: I will meet you at 2:30 in front of the blue building next to the black door with the white stripes. You say (or more likely text) “2:30ish, near the blue building. Give me a call when you get there”. The first person to get there text the other: “I’m here now, give me a call when you get here”. And inevitably meeting and greeting goes something like this – one person calls the other, both are on the phone saying stuff like – uh, I’m right next to the greenish door – oh, I just parked I should be walking towards you – there’s a red motorcycle parked to my left – and finally one person says “oh, I see you – turn around” and the greeting style is one hand on the phone one had in the air waving.
Then there’s randomly meeting somebody on the street and saying hi. You catch their eye, nod both walk towards each other and reach with one hand to pull out one of their earbuds and you say: Hey how’s it going? Exchange one or two sentences of small talk, pop the ear bud back in and continue walking down the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment