Sunday, September 13, 2009

The end of summer

So everyone told me that Labor Day is the end of summer. I figured that meant that the humidity would go, the temperature would begin dropping, the days would get shorter, the color of the leaves would change - you know a gradual process.
I certainly did not expect to wake up to a cloudy, mucky Tuesday, a rainy-ish Wednesday and torrential downpour lasting the rest of the week. I did not expect to get soaked four to five times a day (usually just as I was approaching wherever I as going). And I didn't expect it to get that windy.
I was kind of surprised to get home late Thursday night to find all the sprinklers still on (in general, I find there are way to many sprinklers on at the wrong times, I suppose they're all on timers). Not only were they on the night of a fairly "wet" day, they were on on the eve on an extremely windy night. In the end, they were watering the sidewalks not the grass. And so, though I had managed to stay dry all day, I had to use all my awesome sprinkler-hopping, side-stepping, swerving and other techniques and still got wet in the process.
And so... summer really did end.
Fortunately, the sun came peeking out again today.

1 comment:

  1. Bei uns ist es genau so krass kälter und grauer geworden. Könnte aber auch an der Umstellung Korsika / Angelbachtal liegen. Hm...
    Es ist trotzdem sehr kalt für September. Und der Wettermensch mit der pinken Krawatte sagt, am Sonntag regnet es. Regen am Nachtreffen ist irgendwie doof.
    Aber: noch ist keine der Angelbachtalerinnen im Verzug mit dem Bibellesen! Trotz Schule! Und obwohl Naemi die Arme jetzt immer erst um 17.30 Uhr zuhause ist.
    Wir haben uns auf Korsika überlegt, ob wir dich nicht einfach mit so einem tollen Tretboot besuchen fahren sollen. Aufgrund unserer bescheidenen Orientierungsfähigkeit und dem Fakt, dass wir uns mit dem Schlauchboot sogar trotz der Hilfe von Naemis und meinem Bruder gegen die Wellen im Mittelmeer geschlagen geben mussten, haben wir die Idee leider wieder verworfen. ;) Schade. Wäre ziemlich lustig geworden. Also die Vorstellung war lustig. :D

    ReplyDelete