Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day weekend

I have always wondered why it's called Labor Day if nobody is actually working. On the other hand, I lucked out because this year I got two Labor Days.
Just as I had gotten used to there being so many people on campus (I might be developing another case of bike path rage because nobody seems to think there is a problem walking 4 people wide across the bike path... actually it wouldn't be if one could get them to move over) everyone left. I'm not sure where everyone went (because everyone just got here) but from what I understand most people studying here are from New York and went home. Or to the beach.
Apparently, one is to go to the beach on Labor Day and "celebrate" the end of summer. Interestingly enough, in a way summer really did end. After weeks of sunshine, sadly, the sun does not seem willing to come out today. While I did briefly set foot on the beach yesterday (I even got my feet wet) I spent my weekend in the more non-traditional way of playing rugby all weekend in various forms and formations.
I have had to trade in my 7s jersey (i.e. in Germany I played in a league where we played seven players a side) for a 15s (that is 15 people a side, the "original" way to play rugby) one. Unfortunately, this means I have to re-learn some things - it's very confusing at first to have more than twice the amount of people running around on the field, especially since my eyesight isn't getting any better!

But doesn't this look like fun?!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are not underneath that pile of ladies!!!
    moe

    ReplyDelete