Monday, September 21, 2009

What a way to start the week...

Monday morning at 7:30 am I had just finished making my tea and adding appropriate amounts of cereal and fruits to my yoghurt, when the most obnoxious sound I have heard in a long time reached my tender ears. A screeching, flashing fire alarm. Of all things - on a Monday morning in a student dorm?!
Being the well trained-fire-alarm-person that I am (two years of Wednesday morning drill will do that to you) I marched downstairs mug in one and cereal bowl in the other hand. And spent the next 15 minutes being highly entertained by everyone else crawling out of the building - none of them thought to bring breakfast.
For the most part, everyone did bring something to cover up (a towel can be helpful for more things than drying off), quite a few people just brought their blanket with them and leaned against the next best wall and simply continued their morning slumber.
I now know everything there is to no about what my fellow inhabitants do and do not know wear to bed...
What a way to kick off the week!

2 comments:

  1. Several years ago when I was working in a highrise downtown, we had a fire drill. We all dutifully exited our floor and congregated a couple floors down to listen to the fire marshall guy. The one big complaint he had about our exit? Too many people brought their coffee into the stairwells. He gave us quite a lecture about people getting hurt due to the hot liquids getting bumped and spilled. So, the moral of the story is - bring your cereal, but not your tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could that be an american thing? I don't think any other nation is so utterly terrified by hot beverages...

    ReplyDelete