Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Biiiiiiiiiirdbrains. All of them.

This morning I made it to class just as the lecturer spoke his first word.
I'm never late.
I believe in being on time.
I grew up in a household where when my Dad said we were leaving for our family vacation at 4:30am - we were rolling down the driveway at 4:30am.
I not only believe on being on time - I believe in being prepared to be on time.
My Dad instituted "shoe time" at our household. 10 minutes before we were planning to leave, my Dad yelled: "Shoooooooooooooooooe time" at the bottom of the stairs. That way, we were ready to leave on time.
I make an effort to be on time.
And I take all kind of things into consideration. If class starts at 8:30, I generally make it there two or three minutes early, to settle down, take of my sweatshirt (/shoes in the summer), get out my tea and notebook... and then we'll be ready to go.
So. I calculate for the fact might chain might jump off, I might get stuck behind a school bus, I might forger to pack my tea and need to go back into my room (it is early), trees might have fallen the night before (this has proven to be a regularly occurring incident... a very adventerous one at times), red lights, green lights other lights, surprisingly having to go to the bathroom,... the usual.
But I found out that even though I do account for "traffic issues", it is kinda difficult to account for birdbrains on the loose. Expect the unexpected. And since its unexpected... I can't account for it. Which is why I was late (by my count) for class.
I'm not sure why people think it's a good idea to say a 5minute good bye in the middle of the bike path right on the spot were there is less space anywhere because that's were the stairs and the bus stop and a sign (in the middle of the bike path - honestly, what were they thinking?!) are. Or why people think that walking with four people next to each other across both lanes who can see me coming for several minutes don't feel the need to move. The "oh. right, there's for of us and one of you - if you move, it's not gonna make a difference" expression just isn't funny anymore after a while. I'm starting to feel the need to ask which one of them wants to be hit, because coming to a screeching full stop in front of one of them just isn't scaring them anymore. And why is it, cars don't seem to feel the need to stop at crossways even though there are signs that it's "THE LAW" as soon as they are at on the outskirts of campus? Why is it that early morning (and other time of day) runners insist on running in the middle of the bike path so you can't pass on either side, with their ipod blaring music so loud that all ringing, yelling and flapping of arms will just not get their attention? Why do we not only have the worst bike racks ever on this campus and they are mounted in the worst places ever and it's really, really difficult to lock a bike to them.
And the whole "red lights are optional" thing, as well as the fact that I've come to the conclusion that I'm not actually doing anything wrong when car drivers honk at me. They just don't approve of cyclists.
And so I wonder, how much time should I account for because of birdbrain-ness?

No comments:

Post a Comment