Sunday, November 8, 2009

It's all part of my master plan...

Several years ago, when I started university - I realized that I was a few years older than most of the people who were starting with me and there this age difference was visible in certain behaviors and conversation topics. Things like the fact, that I was no longer interested in the fact that my math teacher didn't give me the grade I deserved, not having my parents watching my every move wasn't news etc. and certain other things that fall under what I like to call the Disney Principle.
Disney Principle? Funny you should ask.... back in the day when Disney movies (the cartoon ones) were still good (the classics so to say), if you were a kid, you watched them. You loved them and you talked about them with your friends. Then you get to certain age (teenage give or take) and it's just no longer cool. And once you get through this (yes, I'll openly admit, I never really went through that stage), you start watching them again, and you love them, and you see a completely new side to them, and you openly admit you watch them. At this age you also begin playing with clay again (in class) etc.
Anyway, as I realized that I had reached a certain age. I decided that it was time I was going to start acting my age: No more driving shopping carts across parking lots that go downhill, getting into cars that have come to a rolling stop, wearing shorts and sandals in the snow and all of that.
A few days ago, I was telling somebody about my time in university and some of the stunts we pulled in the lab. And I realized that somehow, my early twenties didn't really work out that way: I came up with the rolling chair through the lab race, I entertained the lab during chemistry labs, explained the bacteria identification methods as: "what's green and yellow and turns pink when you add an acid?" Again, I have decided that it is time to act my age. For real this time.
Sliding down the handrail in the sports complex displaying an excellent and technique, sending most of the girls rugby team into giggling fits and moments of awe? All part of my masterplan.
Rollerblading through the lecture halls? Definitely part of my master plan!
Using the handles on the handbag of the person in front of me during our weekly seminar (the one were all faculty and students are supposed to be there) as "hoops" to shoot pens through?
You got it.
It's all part of my masterplan!

No comments:

Post a Comment