Thursday, November 5, 2009

under the weather ... (2)

Yes, the weather. This one actually is about the weather!
I didn't realize how much I take fall for granted until I saw one of my classmates was basically hopping up and down with joy and excitement about how beautiful the trees are.
They are. I took a minute or two to look around and enjoy the fall season... wonderful colors, sunshine, the smell of things changing and then, before I knew it the sun was gone and was caught in the rain. Which can also be quite beautiful, but usually more so, once you're out of the rain and snuggled up with a hot cup of tea and a good book (or in my case, a sub-stack of my main stack).
Unfortunately, the constant change in weather from rainy and cold, to warm and muggy, to beautiful, beautiful sunshine, in addition to intense brain exercises and lots of rugby, frequently leaves me really, really tired - on the plus, I actually sleep at night (once I get to bed). The downside... sometimes I sleep in class. Just kidding, I'm relaxing my brain, and it SOAKS up information like mad. I'm serious. I not only have amazing notes from classes I don't remember being in, I also know things I don't remember ever having heard.
Possibly, I am playing to much rugby, at one point I had played every day for four weeks straight. On the other hand, the rugby field is were all the interesting stuff happens. For example, the other day we finally settled the age old question: If a tree falls in the woods, and nobody is there to witness it - does it make a sound?
We have some pretty big gusts of wind come though (courtesy of the fall weather, you see, despite the fact that I am seemingly rambling - I am still on topic) and as we were innocently kicking the balls, all of the sudden *crack* and ....... *CRASH* and this huge tree on the side of the rec fields fell. And at the same moment the two of us facing the woods said: "Oh X@!%#@ (inset whatever you think rugby players say in a moment of surprise) did you see that?" While the other two swung their heads around and said: "Oh @#@#!!! did you hear that? What was that?!". I hope that answers your question - if you had that question. If you didn't, should it come up, now you now.
The next day, I found out that that hadn't been the only gust of wind and not the only falling tree. It was one of those sunny fall days and as I rounded one corner, I was momentarily blinded by the sun and I didn't see that one big branch that hadn't been cleared (yet) and before I knew it, I felt it! Big time! OUCH. I made it to class just on time, by then the shock had worn off and it REALLY hurt - at least I had no problems staying awake in class. And I had quite the leg egg.
The reason I almost didn't make it to class on time was that the friendly long island tree people were busy clearing out all the falling trees. With cherry pickers. And big saw.
Which reminds me (last rambled thought for today). WHY are they called cherry pickers?! I have seen people do a LOT of things with cherry pickers. But never, ever have I seen anyone actually pick cherries.
There you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment