Tuesday, November 24, 2009

no good dead goes unpunished...

Have you ever tried to bring groveries home in 6 different grocery bags on a bike?
Even if you haven't - this probably sounds like a frustrating idea at best and a dangerous one at it's worst (who would want their eggs, cereal and whatnot spread across the highway?).
Unfortunately, while this seems obvious to you, my dear reader, at this very moment, you would be surprised how difficult it is for me to explain this concept at the cash register, with some trigger happy bag packer/cashier trying to pack you groceries.
Even though every grocery store encouraged you to go green in some way or the other involving buying bags that can be re-used, they are VERY confused (EVERY time) you bring your own bags and/or state that you would like to pack your own bags. Even when I say - oh, I'm gonna pack it all into backpack, I'm on my bike (*gesture toward helmet in one hand*). It never really makes any sense to them.
So, I quickly resorted to using the self-check out. That way I can pack my own bags. I'm actually quite good at it - but I always mess up when there's somebody standing right behind me tapping their foot. I've even figured out how to deal with the whole you can't put your bag/backpack and/or helmet on the counter because then the machine always tells you need to scan your purchase...
The other day, I was picking up a few stuff on my way back home. Just as I was wandering up to the register a happy, smiling, bubbly woman pulled up in her gorcery cart full of several already scanned and packed bags and being in a happy oh-the-sun-is-shining-and-i'm-riding-my-bike-with-the-wind-in-my-back-mooed (and I suppose also because deep, deep down in the depths of my heart I'm a good person) I said, oh sure, go ahead.
She whizzed through like a pro - and I started scanning my stuff. Out of the corner of my mind I saw her packing up her groceries at the end of the belt and thought to myself, oh, that's odd.
Then just as I was scanning my card, the happy bubbly woman waved at me, pointed at the bags she had so friendly packed for me and said: "Happy Thanksgiving".
Happy Thanksgiving indeed. So thankful for the holiday spirit - you know helping people, accidentally foiling their plans that kind of stuff.
The Holiday Season is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment